Population in Panama, Panama People Population - Allo' Expat Panama
Allo' Expat Panama - Connecting Expats in Panama
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Panama Logo
   


Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
 
Check our Rates
   Information Center Panama
Panama General Information
 
History of Panama
Panama Culture
Panama Cuisine
Panama Geography
Panama Population
Panama Government
Panama Economy
Panama Communications
Panama Transportations
Panama Military
Panama Transnational Issues
Panama Healthcare
Panama Expatriates Handbook
Panama and Foreign Government
Panama General Listings
Panama Useful Tips
Panama Education & Medical
Panama Travel & Tourism Info
  Sponsored Links


Check our Rates
WEATHER

Fair
28°C
CURRENCY RATES
1(USD) = 1.0004(PAB)
LOCAL TIME
Sat | 12:47PM

Panama Population
 
 
 
 
 

General

The population of Panama was calculated to be 3,242,173 according to a July 2007 estimate. The country's population growth rate was 1.34 percent in 2000. The Panamanian population is growing rapidly. In 1970, the nation's population was approximately 1.5 million, but by 1990, the population had grown to about 2.2 million. Current estimates have the population expanding to 3.2 million by 2010. There were 19.53 births per 1,000 people, and the Panamanian fertility rate was 2.32 children born per woman. The nation's mortality rate was 4.95 deaths per 1,000 people. Panama has a high infant mortality rate due to the rudimentary health-care system and high incidence of poverty. In 2000, there were 20.8 deaths per 1,000 live births. The country has a high emigration rate and in 2000, 1.16 out of every 1,000 Panamanians emigrated to other nations. Emigration is frequent because of the lure of higher-paying jobs in places such as the United States (the main destination for Panamanian emigrants). Life expectancy in Panama is 72.69 years for males and 77.8 years for females.

The majority of the Panamanian population is young. In 2000, the largest age group in Panama was the 5 to 14 age group with about 550,000 people. In comparison, those over the age of 60 number only 240,000. By 2025, the demographics of the nation will have shifted, and the largest single group of people will be in the age group 30 to 39, and by 2050, the largest group will be over those over the age of 55.

The majority of the population is mestizo (mixed ethnic backgrounds, mainly Spanish and Native-American). Mestizos makeup 70 percent of the population. Other ethnic groups include Africans (14 percent), whites (10 percent), and Native Americans (6 percent). Members of ethnic minorities and the nation's Native American population face discrimination in employment, housing and politics. The culture and society of Panama is mainly Spanish-Caribbean. Spanish is the official language, but much of the population also speaks English. This is especially true of West Indian descendants. English is also commonly used in business. Almost 85 percent of the population is Roman Catholic; the remaining 15 percent are Protestant.

The majority of the population is urban; almost 60 percent of people live in towns or cities, especially in the metropolitan areas around Panama City and Colón. About 50 percent of Panamanians live in the corridor that runs from Colón on the Caribbean Coast to Panama City on the Pacific. Only about 25 percent of the land is inhabited. The nation has a population density of 36.6 per square kilometer, compared to that of the United States which is 28.4 per square kilometer.

Overview

Population
3,242,173 (July 2007 est.)

Age structure
0-14 years: 30% (male 496,195/female 476,508)
15-64 years: 63.6% (male 1,044,139/female 1,016,805)
65 years and over: 6.4% (male 97,365/female 111,161) (2007 est.)

See more information on the next page... (next)